ZFS Boot Environments (Plus Only)¶
ZFS Boot Environments make upgrades and major changes safer by taking snapshots of key filesystem areas, allowing the firewall to be rolled back to an earlier known good state if the user encounters problems with an upgrade, configuration change, or other potentially problematic situation.
The upgrade process automatically creates a new ZFS Boot Environment by default and administrators can create them manually as well. Administrators can then select a previous ZFS Boot Environments using the GUI or even the boot loader menu which makes quickly recovering from unforeseen issues a breeze.
ZFS Boot Environments are available only in pfSense® Plus software version 22.05 and later. They are not available on pfSense® CE software.
- How Boot Environments Work
- Boot Environment Requirements
- Managing Boot Environments in the GUI
- Selecting Boot Environments in the Loader Menu
- Boot Environment Status
- Boot Environment Disk Space Usage
- Boot Environment Tips & Tricks