TNSR is a platform for high-speed packet processing, delivered as services that run on top of an operating system. Currently, CentOS Linux release 7 or later for x86 has been tested by Netgate. TNSR may be delivered with the operating system or customers may deploy it on CentOS themselves. That means most compatibility questions can be resolved by checking whether your hardware can run CentOS Linux.
There are three tiers of compatibility descriptions for TNSR. The goal of the Hardware Compatibility List overall is to serve as a guide to deploying TNSR successfully. With that in mind, the information and specifications in each tier meet different requirements for different deployment types.
Tested by Netgate¶
This tier contains systems and components that have been tested extensively by Netgate. The physical and virtual systems here are known to work well with TNSR and are supported directly by Netgate. In addition to the support for TNSR included with your license, Netgate warranty and technical support is available for purchase for Netgate-branded appliances.
TNSR will run in most virtual x86 environments.
- Amazon AWS - Instances with Enhanced Network Adapters (ENA)
- VMware - vSphere 6.0 and later, running VMXNET3 virtual network adapters
- virtio-net - Paravirtualized network adapter, used by QEMU, VirtuaBox, and other hypervisors.
TNSR runs on Linux for x86 platforms. For best results in data center environments, the following CPUs are recommended:
- Intel Xeon Processor E3, E3 v2, E3 v3, E3 v4, E3 v5, E3 v6, E3 v7 Families
- Intel Xeon Processor E5, E5 v2, E5 v3, E5 v4, E5 v5, E5 v6, E5 v7 Families
- Intel Xeon Processor E7, E7 v2, E7 v3, E7 v4, E7 v5, E7 v6, E7 v7 Families
- Intel Xeon Scalable Processors
- Intel Xeon D Processors
Network Interface Card (NIC) support in TNSR is provided by drivers in the underlying Linux operating system. The following NIC drivers have been tested by Netgate:
- igb - for NICs based on the following Intel Gigabit Ethernet controllers
- 82575/6, 82580, I350, I354, I210/211
- ixgbe - for NICs based on the following Intel 10 Gigabit Ethernet controllers
- 82598/9, X520, X540, X550, X553, X552/X557-A
- i40e - for NICs based on the following Intel 10/40 Gigabit Ethernet controllers
- X710, XL710, XXV710
- mlx4 - for NICs based on the following Mellanox 10/40 Gigabit Ethernet controllers
- ConnectX-3, ConnectX-3 Pro
- mlx5 - for NICs based on the following Mellanox 10/25/40/50/100 Gigabit Ethernet controllers
- ConnectX-4, ConnectX-4 Lx, ConnectX-5
DPDK and VPP Compatible¶
This tier contains systems and components found to have worked with the Data Plane Development Kit (DPDK) and Vector Packet Processing (VPP) open source projects. Much of TNSR’s functionality is derived from these projects, but Netgate may not yet have tested all of the systems and components found on these lists.
For the latest updates on hardware supported by DPDK and VPP, check here:
This tier represents the efforts of the TNSR community. Netgate makes every effort to test and document TNSR with new hardware and our customers are also often on the cutting edge of technology, so they may encounter systems and components that work with TNSR before Netgate has an opportunity to test them.